Thursday, February 01, 2007

Banana-lovin' fool

He tried banana for the first time this morning and after wolfing down half of one, he was agitating for more. I was mean mama and denied him, since I didn't think his little stomach was ready for an entire banana.

last week it seemed that his appetite was down after the puking incident on Tuesday, but I think what was really happening is that he's going through an anti-spoon phase. He'll take a bite or two from a spoon to see what's on offer, then he's pretty much done. On the other hand, if you let him pick up chunks of food and feed himself, he'll keep going almost indefinitely. Accepting chunks from your hand is somewhere in between, a little closer to feeding himself than to the odious spoon. Now it's just a matter of figuring out what foods are firm enough that he doesn't squish them to bits with his vice-like grip, yet soft enough that he can gum them and they aren't choking hazards.

Yesterday he chowed down on peas, tofu, and rice with miso when Marissa went to sushi with Tess and Xan after their Music Together class (deserves it's own post sometime). She said Tess went through a similar I'm-feeding-myself phase at Xan's age.

1 comment:

Gina Forbes said...

Oh, I miss my littel banana loving fool! Come snuggle with me soon.

Love,
Gina